Thursday, March 7, 2024

Homemade Bread


This is the best recipe I have found for homemade, sandwich bread.  I originally found it on this Instagram account.

2 tsp active dry yeast
2 cups warm water
1/4 cup honey
5-6 cups unbleached flour
2 tsp salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter 
*I used salted butter, but decreased the amount of salt a little.

In a large bowl, mix yeast, honey and warm water.  Let sit about 15 minutes covered with a towel.  It should be foamy before you go to next step.

Add melted butter, salt and flour.  Mix well in bowl, and then knead together on counter.  Place back in the bowl, cover and let rise for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, punch the center down.  Separate into two sections.  Flatten each section and the roll up into a loaf.  Place in 2 loaf pans and cover with a towel for another hour.  

Bake at 360 for 40 minutes.  (I lightly laid a piece of foil over top for the last 15 minutes so they didn't get too brown.)

1 comment:

Natasha said...

I don't know how I first found this recipe (maybe you linked to it in one of your posts) but I have made it about five or six times since the beginning of May 2024 and I just wanted to let you know that we LOVE this recipe. I have another batch rising as I type this and I just wanted to say thank you!